RIDER OF THE DAY: Fraser Duffy - 27 September 2011
Based in Ireland since 2000, Fraser has represented Great Britain on the international stage in both Dressage and Eventing as part of the Young Rider team and is now an established trainer. Fraser was 3rd at the Bolesworth Showjumping Classic Express Eventing Qualifier, with less than a fence between him and the winner, and he also competed in the Express Eventing Qualifier at the CLA Game Fair.
TWENTY QUESTIONS WITH.....Fraser Duffy
1. How old were you when you started riding, who introduced you to riding and which was your first horse
I was given a riding lesson for my 14th birthday loved it and stayed at it.
2. How did you choose the music for the dressage to music phase?
I actually stole the music from Duarte Seabra who rode my owner's horse last year in the Express Eventing Championship. As all Carol's horses are a similar type the music really suited the stallion I am riding here.
3. Do you think horses enjoy the music, and do you feel it makes a difference to their/your performance?
Most definatley, they grow and really get into the rhythm.
4. How much practice did the dressage to music phase take?
Lots and Lots, rode nearly every horse in the yard as practice to get the exact floor pattern. Some of the four year olds found the canter pirrouetts a bit tricky!!
5. What has been your most memorable moment of the Express Eventing 2011 Series so far?
Getting a perfect 10 for my walk in Bolesworth Castle.
6. Who would be in your dream multi-national Olympic eventing team?
William Fox-Pitt, Mary King, Andrew Nicholson and Michael Jung. I can't think that anyone else would think differently.
7. Do you reward your horses for a good performance and, if so, how?
A good pat is as good as anything but we do give them polo mints at the competitions.
8. What has been the highlight of your career to date and why?
Winnning Blarney Castle CCI 2* . My first three day win on a lovely chestnut mare called Oakengrove Rainbow.
9. What was your favourite subject at school and why?
English, I love to read.
10. If you weren’t a professional event rider what would you like to do?
An airline pilot. I did train for a while but riding kind of got in the way.
11. What would you most like to win that you haven’t already?
The Express Eventing Series Final at HOYS!!!
12. What is your favourite holiday destination?
Any ski resort.
13. Which horse would you most like to have had the opportunity to compete on and why?
It would have to be Utopia, what an amazing horse and is owned by Sasha Stewart an irish girl!!
14. When did you last fall off?
I fall off frequently, a four year old bucked me off three times last week!!
15. Do you have any pets at home?
Yes two terriers, Rosie and Fudge.
16. What’s your favourite meal – and can you cook it?
Steak , and yes, I cook it frequently.
17. Do you have any lucky charms or superstitions?
Aboslutley not, I would drive myself mad if I started that craic!!
18. What’s your favourite one-day event?
I have to say Ballendenisk as that is where I gave my wife a first kiss!!
19. What are you most looking forward to at the Final at the Horse of the Year Show?
20. Who are you tipping to win the Final at the Horse of the Year Show?
Fraser Duffy riding Fernhill Vriend!!
WATCH FRASER'S DRESSAGE TO MUSIC AT THE BOLESWORTH CLASSIC QUALIFIER BY CLICKING HERE.
Visit Fraser's website
Read other articles