RIDER OF THE DAY: Jo Chipperfield - 30 September 2011
Hertforshire-based Jo has been eventing for over 20 years, and runs her own event yard. She has ridden up to 4**** level on many occasions, and last season won the Event Horse Owners’ Rider Award, as well as appearing on British Eventing’s Top 100 Rider list. She competed in the Express Eventing Qualifiers at the Lincolnshire Show and the CLA Game Fair.
TWENTY QUESTIONS WITH....Jo Chipperfield
1. How old were you when you started riding, who introduced you to riding and which was your first horse?
I was 2.5 years old and started riding on a shetland pony called Robbie, Stella Welsh our local riding instructor.
2. How did you choose the music for the dressage to music phase?
By chance, borrowed from Sandie Gibbs a friend who competes dressage to music, learnt at 7pm the night before I performed the test at Lincoln Show. Have now changed the canter music to suit my horse for the Final.
3. Do you think horses enjoy the music, and do you feel it makes a difference to their/your performance?
Yes he loves the music
4. How much practice did the dressage to music phase take?
I learnt by watching Sandie riding the test on her computer then riding it in my field at 8pm the night before having never ridden to music before.
5. What has been your most memorable moment of the Express Eventing 2011 Series so far?
Performing my first ever test to music, when I was worried if I would be able to hear the music as I have a hearing loss in both ears.
6. Who would be in your dream multi-national Olympic eventing team?
William Fox Pitt, Mark Todd, Andrew Nicholson, Ginny Leng
7. Do you reward your horses for a good performance and, if so, how?
A nice day out in the field
8. What has been the highlight of your career to date and why?
Winning a team competition in Boekelo and doing a lap of honour with Pippa Funnell and Lucy Wiegersma.
9. What was your favourite subject at school and why?
10. If you weren’t a professional event rider what would you like to do?
Anything to do with property
11. What would you most like to win that you haven’t already?
A three-day event
12. What is your favourite holiday destination?
13. Which horse would you most like to have had the opportunity to compete on and why?
Lenamore, looks great fun in all phases and is a neat tidy jumper.
14. When did you last fall off?
Cross Country this year at Chatsworth
15. Do you have any pets at home?
2 cats and 1 dog
16. What’s your favourite meal – and can you cook it?
Steak and chips, but I can only cook using a microwave!!
17. Do you have any lucky charms or superstitions?
I will not wear anything new in a major competition
18. What’s your favourite one-day event?
British Open at Gatcombe
19. What are you most looking forward to at the Final at the Horse of the Year Show?
Riding down the tunnel into the ring
20. Who are you tipping to win the Final at the Horse of the Year Show?
WATCH JO'S DRESSAGE TO MUSIC AT THE CLA GAME FAIR QUALIFIER BY CLICKING HERE.
Read other articles