RIDER OF THE DAY: Matthew Wright - 03 October 2011
Nottinghamshire-based Matthew has represented Great Britain at the European Championships. He has competed at International level, and has had particular success in Ireland where he was winner at Ballindenisk Horse Trials and the World Cup Qualifier. Matthew competed in all four Express Eventing 2011 Qualifiers and won the first three (at the Bolesworth Castle Showjumping Classic, The Lincolnshire Show and The CLA Game Fair).
TWENTY QUESTIONS WITH.....Matthew Wright
1. How old were you when you started riding, who introduced you to riding and which was your first horse?
I was 18 months and it was my mum and dad that got me started. My first pony was Marmite.
2. How did you choose the music for the dressage to music phase?
With a lot of help from Ian Woodhead, my trainer.
3. Do you think horses enjoy the music, and do you feel it makes a difference to their/your performance?
I think it winds them up, although I really enjoy it!
4. How much practice did the dressage to music phase take?
None at all, you just get on and do it. (Followed by rapturous laughter!)
5. What has been your most memorable moment of the Express Eventing 2011 Series so far?
Winning three of the four qualifiers.
6. Who would be in your dream multi-national Olympic eventing team?
Me, on four different horses!
7. Do you reward your horses for a good performance and, if so, how?
Of course, pats and polos.
8. What has been the highlight of your career to date and why?
Every single win is a highlight for me.
9. What was your favourite subject at school and why?
10. If you weren’t a professional event rider what would you like to do?
I’d be a National Hunt jockey,
11. What would you most like to win that you haven’t already?
The Express Eventing Final!
12. What is your favourite holiday destination?
I need to go on plenty more before I decide that one, but so far it’s Duabi.
13. Which horse would you most like to have had the opportunity to compete on and why?
14. When did you last fall off?
Two weeks ago
15. Do you have any pets at home?
Yes, two dogs.
16. What’s your favourite meal – and can you cook it?
Starter- scallops, main- seabass and then for desert chocolate pudding. I’m actually quite a good cook!
17. Do you have any lucky charms or superstitions?
I have a four leaf clover in my medial card.
18. What’s your favourite one-day event?
Aston-Le-Walls, because I can run a lot of horses.
19. What are you most looking forward to at the Final at the Horse of the Year Show?
20. Who are you tipping to win the Final at the Horse of the Year Show?
Apart from me? Sam Griffiths.
WATCH MATTHEW'S DRESSAGE TO MUSIC AT THE BOLESWORTH CLASSIC QUALIFIER BY CLICKING HERE.
WATCH MATTHEW'S INTERVIEW AT THE FESTIVAL OF BRITISH EVENTING QUALIFIER BY CLICKING HERE.
Read other articles